ABOUT THE UGLY AMERICAN


JUNE 3:

Today I want to write about THE UGLY AMERICAN.  This was the title of a book in 1958 about Americans in South East Asia.  I have never understood the main point in the book. And more important:  I have never met him, the Ugly American. I have tried many times and had lots of possibilities to run into him.  I have over 55 years visited more than 60 of the states in the US.   But right NOW I have a feeling that – unfortunately – I am close to finding him

My personal experience with the US goes – as I already mentioned – 55 years back. At that time I was a young student and made a gorgeous trip across the states from San Francisco to Washington DC and New York. By train and bus.  But I never met the Ugly American.  Lots of things surprised me and made me wonder. But no ugly stuff!  We were all at the time fans of president Kennedy. And it was a great moment to visit his fresh grave on Arlington.

My next American journey took place in 1979. I had been asked by the EU Delegation in Washington to go on a speaking tour about Europe in the Deep South and in the Midwest.  I met a lot of interesting people everywhere. And experienced lots of exciting things. Such as when an elderly gentleman in one of my meetings apparently got so excited about what he heard that he asked:  Tell me, Sir, where do we here in Louisiana sign, when we want to become a member of the European Union?! Or when I ran into participating in an up-and-down-the-street canvassing campaign together with George W. Bush in Iowa.  He was actually at the time more interested in jazz and a good beer than in politics. We had a good time.  But an Ugly American?  Not in sight anywhere!

In 1983 I was on my way again. I was invited by the US State Department to go anywhere in the US to see what I wanted and to talk to anyone I wanted to talk to. All paid, even some pocket money. Everywhere I came the local “International Relations Association” took care of me. Very exciting.  From the Mormons in Utah to the Europe-minded Californians in SF and LA, from around Texas, where I also visited the Space Center, to the Scandinavian-German influenced states in the northern part of the Midwest, from the biggest Polish city outside Poland, Chicago, to swinging New York.  One of the things which took me by surprise in many places was how dominant the American women were – not towards me, but towards their husbands. One of these husbands in Chicago took me out for a walk to pick my brain on what he should do about it.   But the Ugly American?  Not to be found anywhere I came.

Later I have been “over” again to show my kids around on the east coast and also been there in connection with EU projects. And after joining the Golden Age of Seniors we have been to the US in connection with a couple of cruises out of Fort Lauderdale and Seattle.  The Ugly American?   Still impossible to trace down.

Everywhere you are met with open arms and hospitality.  People are keen to know who you are – and why you eat with knife and fork and not just with a fork like the Americans do. They want to know about the world you come from – and the places you have visited. The average American does not have personal experience with travelling outside the US.  A few years ago I was told that only about 20 % of all Americans have a passport.  And they are very keen to show you their fantastic country and all it has to offer.   All this – and much more – belong to what I have experienced with Americans and America.    And nowhere I have seen the Ugly American turn up 😊

That is why my sadness and my worries reach unseen hights – or depths, when I just by turning on our TV see and hear what is happening the US now.  How did it get to there?  What went wrong?  How can this great country elect such an ignorant, self-centered, dividing, spoiling person as their leader?? Where are all the Republicans, who over the years have been very internationally minded ?  Where are the Democrats with credible alternatives? Where has all the creativity, the drive and the openness which we all know exist in America, gone ? Where is the America, which since World War II has gone out of its way – politically and economically – to make the world, not least Europe, work closely together?

I am unfortunately afraid that I without looking for him and without travelling anywhere have ran into the Ugly American     And I am not the only one.

This is in all honesty a very sad situation. But I am sure that there are better times ahead.  Better times for everybody. Perhaps except for the Ugly American.  You will not be missed 😊


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHIP ELEVATORS IN BELGIUM

AMERICA IS COMING BACK TO THE WORLD !

MY FIRST SCHOOL DAY - April 2, 1952